This cancellation policy only applies to matched trips, including trips matched from the carpool shortlist. You are free to cancel a pending trip request at any time before you are matched without penalty.
At Scoop, our goal is to make carpooling so reliable that you can depend on it every day. By discouraging cancellations after the matching period has ended, we ensure that everyone can depend on their Scoop match to get to work and back.
However, we know things come up and plans do change. There may be days where you need to cancel your carpool or days where you find that you’re the one that’s been canceled on. We understand the inconvenience this can cause, which is why we implemented a policy to help prevent cancellations.
When carpooling with Scoop, Riders and Drivers are held to the same cancellation policy. Each month, every carpooler is given a cancellation fee waiver which allows for one free cancellation. However, this waiver cannot be applied to ‘last-minute’ cancellations since those are considered to be especially difficult on your fellow carpooler. Last-minute cancellations are defined as any cancellation that occurs within one hour of the first scheduled pickup.
As a Driver, if you are matched in a 3-person carpool, you may choose to remove one of your Riders, rather than cancel the entire carpool. The cancellation policy applies normally if a Driver is removing a Rider from the carpool because they can’t find the Rider, or the Rider can no longer make it.
Note: Drivers that decline a carpool match due to the route, either by canceling the full carpool due to route or removing individual Riders from the trip due to route, will retain their cancellation waiver and do not incur a cancellation charge. Learn more here.
Incur a $5 cancellation charge when:
- You cancel your scheduled carpool ‘last-minute’.
- You cancel your scheduled carpool after already having used your cancellation fee waiver for the month.
- Your fellow carpooler can’t find you or lets us know you couldn’t make the carpool. This may occur if you are not present at the pickup location at the scheduled time.
Incur a $10 cancellation charge when:
- You cancel your scheduled carpool for the 4th time in the same month. This also includes any subsequent cancellations occurring in that same calendar month.
Receive a $5 cancellation credit when:
- Your scheduled carpool is canceled ‘last-minute’.
- Your scheduled carpool is canceled for the second time in the same month. This also includes any subsequent cancellations occurring in that same calendar month.
- Your fellow carpooler does not show up for the scheduled carpool and you cancel in the app by selecting I can’t find my fellow carpooler.
- Your fellow carpooler notifies you ‘last-minute’ that they can no longer make the scheduled carpool and you cancel in the app by selecting My fellow carpooler can’t make it.
Note: Drivers will receive a maximum of one $5 cancellation credit per trip in a 3-person carpool.
Cancellations when using Shift Scheduling
Note: Shift Scheduling is only available for commuters whose employers are a part of a specific Enterprise carpool program. If your employer is a part of a program offering Shift Scheduling, you will see it within the Scoop app.
Scoop’s cancellation policy still applies when carpooling while using Shift Scheduling.
If your ride to work is canceled for any reason Scoop will automatically cancel your return trip in order to ensure that you are able to arrange alternative transportation both ways.
If your employer sponsors backup commute options, you may be eligible to receive a ride credit to apply to your backup commute to or from work. Learn more about backup commutes.
*For Riders using Shift Scheduling: if your Driver for the going to work carpool is unable to make the trip, your return trip will also be automatically canceled as part of Scoop’s Shift Scheduling cancellation policy. For more information see cancellations when using Shift Scheduling.