This cancellation policy only applies to matched trips. You are free to cancel a pending trip request at any time without penalty. For information on scheduling a carpool while using Shift Scheduling see the following section of the article.
At Scoop, our goal is to make carpooling so reliable that you can depend on it every day. By discouraging cancellations after the scheduling deadline has ended, we ensure that everyone can depend on their Scoop match to get to work and back.
However, we know things come up and plans change. There may be days where you need to cancel your carpool or days where you find that you’re the one that’s been canceled on. We understand the inconvenience this can cause, which is why implemented a policy to help prevent cancellations.
When carpooling with Scoop, Riders and Drivers are held to the same cancellation policy. Each month, every carpooler is given a cancellation fee waiver which allows for one free cancellation. However, this waiver cannot be applied to ‘last-minute’ cancellations since those are considered to be especially difficult on your fellow carpooler. Last-minute cancellations are defined as any cancellation that occurs within one hour of the first scheduled pickup.
Note: Drivers that decline a carpool match due to the route, either by canceling the full carpool due to route or removing individual Riders from the trip due to route, will retain their cancellation waiver and do not incur a cancellation charge. Learn more here.
Incur a $5 cancellation charge when:
- You cancel your scheduled carpool ‘last-minute’.
- You cancel your scheduled carpool after already having used your cancellation fee waiver for the month.
- You are marked as a ‘No-Show’ by your fellow carpooler. This may occur if you are not present at the pickup location at the scheduled time.
Incur a $10 cancellation charge when:
- You cancel your scheduled carpool for the 4th time in the same month. This also includes any subsequent cancellations occurring in that same calendar month.
Receive a $5 cancellation credit when:
- Your scheduled carpool is canceled ‘last-minute’.
- Your scheduled carpool is canceled for the second time in the same month. This also includes any subsequent cancellations occurring in that same calendar month.
- Your fellow carpooler does not show up for the scheduled carpool and you cancel in the app by selecting I can’t find my fellow carpooler.
- Your fellow carpooler notifies you ‘last-minute’ that they can no longer make the scheduled carpool and you cancel in the app by selecting My fellow carpooler can’t make it.
Note: Drivers will receive a maximum of one $5 cancellation credit per trip in a 3-person carpool.
Cancellations when using Shift Scheduling
Note: Shift Scheduling is only available for carpoolers whose employers are a part of a specific Managed Carpool Program. If your employer is a part of a program offering Shift Scheduling, you will see it within the Scoop app.
Scoop’s cancellations policy still applies when carpooling while using Shift Scheduling.
Auto-cancellations for Riders
- If your ride to work is canceled for any reason Scoop will automatically cancel your return trip in order to ensure that you are able to arrange alternative transportation both ways.
If you carpooled into work as a Rider and your return trip is canceled, you may be eligible to receive a Guaranteed Ride Home through our Guaranteed Ride Home (GRH) program. Learn more about Guaranteed Ride Home.
*For carpools using Shift Scheduling as a Rider: if your Driver to work is unable to make the trip, your return trip will also be canceled as part of Scoop’s Shift Scheduling cancellation policy. For more information see cancellations when using Shift Scheduling.