What are my backup commute options?
If we can’t match you in a carpool first, backup commute options will become available in the Scoop app for you to get to and from work.
To access backup commute options:
- Schedule a carpool as a Rider
- If we can’t find you a carpool, or your carpool is canceled, you’ll be added to the carpool shortlist for another chance at matching
- If you are not selected from the carpool shortlist or if your shortlist match is canceled by the Driver, backup commute options will become available
Sponsored backup commutes
If your employer partners with Scoop, you may have access to a sponsored backup commute through Lyft. This means that if we can’t get you into a carpool, you’ll receive a Lyft Pass to use toward your commute instead.
The amount of the Lyft Pass will vary based on your employer’s Scoop program. In order to claim your Lyft Pass, follow these instructions:
- From the carpool shortlist, tap “View backup commute options”
- Tap “Get a ride with Lyft” to view the details for your Lyft Pass
- To claim your Lyft Pass, tap “Claim Lyft pass.” Once you claim, your carpool shortlist request will be deleted
- After you claim your Lyft Pass, tap “Open Lyft app” to head to the Lyft app and schedule your ride
- We’ll pass along your pick-up and drop-off locations directly to the Lyft app so you can easily schedule your commute
- Your Lyft Pass will automatically be applied to your qualifying trip and any remaining payment is taken care of directly through the Lyft app.*
Your ride with Lyft can be requested 30 minutes before the start time of the original Scoop trip request until the time backup commute closes. Backup commute closes at 10:30am for morning trips and 8:40pm for evening trips.
In order for you to successfully redeem your Lyft Pass, your trip must meet the following requirements:
- Destination address must match the Scoop carpool request
- Your Lyft ride must be requested by 10:30am (for your morning commute) and 8:40pm (for your evening commute)
The eligibility requirements can be found in the Scoop app by tapping “Get a ride with Lyft” (see step 6 above), as well as in the Lyft app once the Lyft Pass has been claimed. See here for more information on how to find and use your Lyft Pass: Promotions, ride discounts, and Lyft credit.
We will use the phone number associated with your Scoop account to locate your existing Lyft account. If you do not have a Lyft account, you will need to create an account with Lyft.
*Lyft Pass does not apply to tips, cancellation fees, or damage charges and any such charges are the responsibility of the Lyft user, subject to Lyft's Terms of Service.
Non-sponsored backup commutes
If you do not see any sponsored backup commute options, be sure to add your work email to make sure you are receiving all the benefits from your employer’s Scoop program. Some employers may not offer sponsored backup commutes as a benefit. Additionally, non-sponsored backup commutes are not reimbursable through the Guaranteed Ride Home program.
Guaranteed Ride Home program
If your carpool trip request qualifies for our Guaranteed Ride Home program, you can request a reimbursable backup commute home. See here for more information.
Please note: if your employer sponsors Lyft Pass as a backup commute option, you will not be eligible for our Guaranteed Ride Home program.